La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pond Life...

What pond life ?
The water has been crystal clear over the last 5 days or so.  The flittering of  blossom leaves and pollen from the trees have all but disappeared from the water surface. Somehow it looks like the salamander and dragon fly larvae have gone too. :(
I haven't encountered any frog spawn at all, even though I can hear the croaking of frogs at night when I'm lying in bed.  Lovely and peaceful sound.
Last year when we didn't have the pond there were thousands of baby and mature frogs in that area.  Have we disturbed the life that was already there by digging to put in a proper frog pond ? I sure hope not.
Let's hope it will all fall back into place in the coming months and years.

Maybe most larvae are hiding near the water plants and that could be the reason why I don't see many.
We've got plenty of water skaters and some water beetles, also water boatman.

And when the sun comes out a lot of dragon flies are whizzing hither thither over the pond.  Difficult enough they are to photograph.
Here is a broad-bodied chaser that I captured a few days ago.

My family of Kitchy (with capital K) ducks are doing great.  I tied them together and then on a brick that I placed carefully (read threw) in the middle of the pond. 
Had to because we have a predator on the loose.
Millie would take the ducklings out, maul them and leave them in the copse for me to find and do the autopsy.

The creeping jenny   is going well and will hopefully cover the pond liner in a satisfactory manner.

Hostas, been gnarled at by slugs.  Frogs, toads ! Dinner is ready !


My favourite corner of the pond
I did sow some wild flowers but we'll have to wait and see what's to become of them.

Look at me ! Look at me !
Indeed. Look at her lovely face. Butter wouldn't melt....

Thanks for visiting.
Patricia xxx...x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...