La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Monday, June 13, 2016

Meanwhile on the Farm.

How about this, eh ?  The broilers have a new feeder, fabricated by Bert (after I had shown him this on Pinterest)
Nevertheless, he had taken me by surprise because I din't know he was doing this. They now have two such feeders and it is mucho better than the one on the floor, which is always full of wood shavings.

And this is how you fill the feeder. They get a mixture of chick crumb (which they prefer), mixed grains and an organic complete chicken feed, which comes in pellets.

We bought a spring cabbage and hung it on a piece of string in their enclosure. Oh boy, do they love this.



Now about the piggies. I uploaded 4 short clips of  the little rascals. Be sure to turn up the volume and start with the first one.

Piggies, working away outside. Bert walks by and into the barn.


They have to come around the bank and the corner and then they wait to hear Bert in the barn.

They go in and ..... I leave you to see (and hear) for yourself.

That's better !


They are addicted to milk whey. 
The first time we got some from our friends Sophie and Ruud, they weren't convinced. Now, all has changed. They 'demand' or pester us for it.
Talk about conditioning. The pigs ? Or us ?

Have a pleasant week ahead !
Patricia xxx...x

5 comments:

  1. I like the feeder idea. I may try it on my family ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could catch on as the new trend in gastropubs. Ai ! Don't ! ;)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:19 pm

    Happy pigs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant feeder idea for the chooks. I think I saw it somewhere and made a note of it but then we got our big black feeder things and I forgot all about it. I'll definitely do something similar if we ever have indoor birds.

    I love the pig clips. I don't miss that screeching racket at feed times at all, when we used to have the 55 pigs all in different family areas they would all trigger each other off and it tooks us minutes (that seemed like hours) to get round all the troughs before chomping quiet resumed. The slurping noises are much better ...... I half expected to hear a satisfied burp on the last clip ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for a feeder! Happy Pigs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...