La Chatte Gitane (or The Gypsy Cat) was the name we chose for our cottage in France at the time. We chose it while on the road, moving house the first time round, from Ireland to France with 2 dogs and 7 cats in the car.
This blog began its insignificant life as a recipe book for friends and family who would ask me repeatedly for a recipe of this, that and the other.
Since then it has taken many different directions, like we did and like gypsies tend to do. Sometimes making a U-turn and revisiting familiar roads and taking a break when necessary.
You'll find recipes here, but also musings about the places we've called home, the gardens that we've established, not always successfully, the homes we've improved and the environments we've lived in. Currently, after yet another stint in Ireland, we're back in France @ Le Mas d'Ayen

Friday, June 10, 2016

The Front Door

We've been here in this house just over three years and I have changed the colour of the front door as many times.
I didn't 'plan' to do this, but every springtime I feel like a change.

So, yesterday I got some paints out and started mixing. I used Chalk Paint (Original from Annie Sloan) as a base.


I added some of the facade paint (see picture below), a squirt of magenta (the artist variety acrylic) and the result is shocking !  Himself wasn't too sure at first, because when it went on it looked proper bubblegum pink. It has toned down a bit with drying. It looks actually quite good with the colour of the stone and the painted extension.

Need some more embellishments, like more colour in the plant pots and a funky doormat.


The door colour was blue before and it looked colder than the photo below shows. 
And, it was time for a change. Ha ha !


Before the blue, it was lavender, but it had bleached a lot during the year it was on the door (must have been from all the sun)


When we moved into the house, the front door was a bland (in my opinion) brown and I wasn't having any of that !


I don't think I can just slap another coat of paint on top next time. The door might not close again.


The window boxes have been filled and are looking goo-ood.

And I'll leave you with a last picture, of the Sweet Williams in all their glory. 


Now, that's a colour and a half.

Have a great weekend !
Patricia xxx...x



6 comments:

  1. I love it. i can;t wait for the day I have a wooden front door and can paint it bright colours, just the way a front door should be x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. May be you might embellish your door with a few small murals or even a swirl of a rainbow going over the letter box. Giving it an alternative flavour that relates to your lifestyle ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant. I'd love to have a paintable door like that. The colour makes a huge difference. It looks bright and welcoming. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, far better than brown x

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that colour!! Painting my dull brown front door is on my to do list during the summer holidays :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great, definitely like the latest colour best!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...